Sunday 31 October 2010

Today's baking day again, as last week's bread is coming to an end... hold on, which bread? Indeed, I have to admit we're running a bit late, so let's try some catching up. I should not mention that there was a particularly good bread before the one that I'm reporting about now...
So, before getting ready doing the bread for the coming week, let's have a look at last week's White Rustic Boomerang. I'm still chasing the idea of having a proper rustic white bread with a good crust outside and a light, open structure inside. I know, I could do some research and follow a recipe, but my nature of achieving certain results is usually by trial & error. You could also call me a stubborn donkey!
The approach of the day was called 'pre-dough'. I made my usual yeast-mix (3 spoons of dry yeast, 2 spoons of sugar, 100ml of water and 50ml of boiling water) and mixed it with 200 grams of strong white flour, kneaded it and but it to rest not just for 1 hour but for a whole day. Of course, I put it in a warm place and covered with a wet cloth.


Now this is how it looked like after coming out of the cupboard... it did grow, which is nice. But it also developed a thick hard 'skin', which is less nice. But, I needed to continue with what I had, so I added 200 grams more flour, some salt (not enough) and some water in a desperate attempt of getting a nice smooth dough. After some serious kneading I was almost there...
Oh well! All there was to do is getting it into shape (no, it's not a half-moon shape, it's a baguette shape bent to fit into the oven), make some cuts and add a bit of herbs: olive salt, thyme and rosemary. And then I was remembering that I forgot about the oil that I usually put in the dough... so this time, we just had some oil sprinkled on top.

The masterpiece was then resting under cover for about an hour before going into the oven, 30 minutes at 220 degrees. The result left me with mixed feelings: On one hand it had a nice crust and a good and even inner structure. On the other hand it was missing some salt, it was missing the oil (or butter) in the dough and it certainly didn't turn out light and airy. Let's see if I'm more lucky next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment